Friday, August 14, 2009

Wes' Week That Was

23-year old Wes Wrenn was selected by the Mets in the 35th round of the 2009 draft, out of The Citadel, in South Carolina. He makes his home in Greensboro, NC. Wes is taking his first professional steps towards his big-league dreams, and has agreed to check in on the Blog from time to time to get us behind the scenes in the life of a new minor league ballplayer.

After losing two out of three against the Jammers we headed to Ohio to take on the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, the number one team in the other division.

But before we left, we were able to meet all of our season ticket holders after the third game against Jamestown. This was great! I had no idea there were this many. So many friendly fans and their future Cyclones (some of the kids I remembered from camp, and they have a bright future) made this a great experience. It was great to finally get to meet the people that cheer for us face-to-face.

The next day we had a golf outing at Dyker Beach golf course. There were seven Cyclones players in attendance and we were each paired with three fans to make a foursome. It was probably the hottest day since I’ve been here but we still had a lot of fun. Darryl “Straw” Strawberry was also in the tournament! He stayed at hole number 4, which is a par three, and everyone got to play him in a “closest to the pin” challenge. It was nice getting to meet one of the best players ever to play the game of baseball. Two players on my team beat him in this friendly competition; however, Straw just started playing golf three years ago.

After about our 15th hole, I saw Dave (our communications guy) and asked him when I should leave. He looked down at his watch and said "It's 5:20." I said, "Yeah, I know...and the bus leaves at 6:00 from KeySpan Park and I still have to shower and pack my bags for the road trip." We both looked at each other with a blank stare as if to say, “then why am I still here?”

Luckily for me, just then a course worker with a water cooler had pulled up to refill the water on that hole. I asked him for a ride back to the clubhouse, and we raced off. I love playing golf, so the entire ride back to the clubhouse I wanted to turn around and finish the last three holes, but I didn’t want to face a fine for being late...or risk missing a road trip!
Overall, it was a blast and I’m very thankful I was able to participate.

We made it back from golf just in time to shower and pack. Well, sort of "just in time." The entire team and coaches were waiting on us already on the bus as we pulled into KeySpan. But honestly, what’s the difference between getting there at 3:00 a.m. and 3:15 a.m?

We took two out of three from Mahoning Valley to tie them again for the best record in the league, thanks to some great pitching and unbelievable defense from our centerfielder, Justin Garber, and our second baseman, Matt Gaski. They both made ridiculous diving plays that saved the game last night and we were able to win 2-1.

Today we’ll start a three-game series against the Oneonta Tigers, before the All-Star Break.

See you at the park!

-- Wes

No comments: