Monday, April 27, 2009

Evil Deliveries

Days like today, it's easy to figure out why you can't spell "delivery" without "devil" or "evil."

We just unloaded TWO trucks worth of boxes. 25 palettes. 300 boxes. 60,000 caps. On one of the hottest days of the year. Into a space with minimal, if any, ventilation. Good times.

We're also a bit limited in terms of storage space, so we had to figure out how to best stack the boxes, jenga-style, to make use of the vertical space without the boxes falling and crushing those of us below.

Somewhere along the way, Kevin thought it would be a good idea (or maybe just a funny one) to see if I could climb all the way to the top. Of course, like the fool that I am, I did. And now that I was up there, it was my job to stack those suckers as high as they would possibly go.

Now, I'm no science major, and maybe I'm not taking Maybach classes...but I do know that heat rises. And let me tell you something, it was as hot as...well, remember what I said before about the devil?


So there I am, climbing and crawling, with my back scraping against the top of a 30-foot ceiling, hitting my head on air ducts, and praying that those extra fries I had for lunch don't weigh enough to send me plummeting to my death, splattering on the concrete like Flat Rat.

As I got higher and higher, I started to enter a zen-like state, brought on by dehydration, asphyxiation, and asbestos inhalation. My ancestors came to me on the astral plane and told me that I had come full circle -- that in a previous life, I had been this guy. Maybe that's why it felt so natural. Or why I've always been fascinated by the pyramids.

Anyway, I snapped out of it, came back to earth, and we fit all the boxes in. But I pity the fool that has to UNload them. (JENGA!)

-- Dave

1 comment:

anthony0358 said...

I never thought about how you guys have to unload all the goodies

thanks for all your hard work!