Sunday, June 21, 2009

Wes Wrenn

23-year old Wes Wrenn was selected by the Mets in the 35th round of the 2009 draft, out of The Citadel, in South Carolina. He makes his home in Greensboro, NC. Wes is taking his first professional steps towards his big-league dreams, and has agreed to check in on the Blog from time to time to get us behind the scenes in the life of a new minor league ballplayer. The following is his first entry, a few days after his arrival in Brooklyn:

It all started right after receiving the phone call with a scout on the other end saying, “We just drafted you and we’re sending you to Brooklyn.”

Less than forty-eight hours later I was sitting the in airport with a plane ticket into JFK not knowing what to expect. Once I landed I was told to find a fifteen passenger white van that would be going around picking up all the rookies. It was clear we all were thinking about the fear of the unknown, not having a clue what we’ve got ourselves into.

Mostly small-town boys, we then took a 45 minute ride through unfamiliar, heavily-populated communities before arriving at out new home for the next three months. The next day started at 4:45 a.m. as we were all told to be dressed and ready to go take our physicals. It was cold and rainy, which only added of a stir-crazy feeling to the day. I just couldn't wait to get on the field and start playing ball. But there was still a lot of waiting to do. We waited in the doctor’s office for about 35 minutes, since we got there before he did!

After taking all sorts of test, we loaded back up in the van and made out first visit to KeySpan Park where we were kindly greeted by all the Cyclone staff. We received our jerseys and took individual photos before getting back in the van and heading to Manhattan once more for some other tests than can’t be mentioned. Then after about two more hours of that, it was back to the field for our first team workout.

The field is awesome. It was empty when we walked out onto it, but we were all excited to see what it would look like with a packed house full of Brooklyn fans.

The next two days consisted of practice and community events. These were great because we really got a feel for how much baseball is loved in this town. All the fans were so receptive and friendly; it made us all feel at home.

Opening night came around and we waxed the Yankees 6-2 in front of a sellout crowd of 9,000-plus! You can’t get much better than that.

I'll write again soon from the road. We're all still getting to know each other and getting used to a new lifestyle. I think it's going to be a great summer, and I'll have lots of good stories to tell.

-- Wes

1 comment:

anthony0358 said...


Hey the Cyclones staff did a great job last night with all the rain

Everyone makes the fans feel so welcome and important.

Its very cool during a rain delay how well you all treat the fans!