Monday, July 13, 2009

Wes' Week That Was

23-year old Wes Wrenn was selected by the Mets in the 35th round of the 2009 draft, out of The Citadel, in South Carolina. He makes his home in Greensboro, NC. Wes is taking his first professional steps towards his big-league dreams, and has agreed to check in on the Blog from time to time to get us behind the scenes in the life of a new minor league ballplayer.

This was somewhat of a disappointing week for the Cyclones, as we lost five out of six games, after winning 17 out of 19.

Fortunately it is now in the past and we can look for better things to come. The Citadel taught me to “learn from the past, live in the present, and plan for the future.” I believe that is the best way to be successful at anything in life. You can’t dwell on the past whether it is good or bad, merely because if your mind is consumed with something other than the present, you won’t be able to give your best to what’s at hand. Sometimes, though, that's easier said than done -- especially in a baseball-crazy city like Brooklyn, New York.

So while I was trying to forget about our loss(es) and enjoy a sushi dinner with a few other Cyclones on our off day, I couldn’t help but overhear one particularly critical fan (since he was in a restaurant, shouting to the person on the other end of his cell phone...who was apparently deaf) sharing his thoughts about New York baseball. “The Mets, Yankees, and the Cyclones all suck; there are no good teams around.” While I can’t speak for the Mets or Yankees, I do believe we are in first place by about five games. So I politely leaned over and said to the man, “Sir, calm down. We can’t win them all.” He turned around and stared at me as if he was trying to figure out who I played for. (Good luck, buddy. I just got drafted four weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure you won't recognize me.) Fortunately, we didn’t hear another word out of him, and were able to enjoy the rest of our meal.


On the other hand, I would like to give a shout out to the fans that were cheering for me last week and said you appreciated my blog. I wanted to tip my hat to you from the mound but I’m supposed to be “in the zone” and the coaches wouldn’t appreciate me acknowledging a fan during the game. So I'll tip my cap here on the blog. Thank you for your support, and thanks for reading. Brooklyn fans really are the best fans around.

That pretty much sums up the excitement for the week, since our performance on the field was slightly less than stellar. But, like I mentioned before, we learned from our past, we’re living in the present, and as far as the future goes...we plan on starting another winning streak today! Go Cyclones!

-- Wes

2 comments:

Lisa Gav said...

Just what I needed to read!

I, too, was complaining to some fellow Season Ticket Holders after last night's loss, but yes, indeed, we're still in First place. With, of course, a new winning streak to follow!

Keep up the good blogs, *GO CYCLONES*, and I'll try to remember "There's no crying in Baseball!"

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you, Wes.
Here's to seeing you in a NY Met uniform up at the show very soon.